So you may have heard the news that Japanese clothing chain will finally plant a few stores on Canadian soil. It was announced today that Uniqlo will open two stores in Toronto in the Fall of 2016. One will be at Yorkdale (of course) the other at Toronto Eaton Centre. These flagship stores will be massive at 24,000 square feet and 28,000 square feet respectively and will offer the full range for men, women and children.
Many of us already are familiar with the brand that we’ve been hoarding on our travels but here are 10 reasons why we love UNIQLO and a few fun facts….just to get you pumped!
1. SPRZ NY (“Surprise New York”) is a project designed around the concept of “a place where clothes and art meet.” The line features collabs with pop culture’s most iconic artists including Jean-Michel Basquait, Yayoi Kusama, Julian Opie, Daniel Joseph Martinez just to name a few. Products reflect the work by the artist in limited edition with thought-inspiring and meaningful apparel. Art is an important part of Uniqlo culture with a goal of making it more accessible.
2. Ines de la Fressange women’s line collaboration: this top model is known all over the world for her timeless but fun style. Her motto “Beauty and fun are connected in a very natural way.”
3. HeatTech: we can’t get enough of the line especially for our damn cold winters. The Japanese line of seriously affordable and very comfortable basics keeps us warm forever without the bulk.
4. Feel the Warmth Project: Uniqlo supports people who work in the cold. They’ve supplied 200,000 people in 15 countries. Nice!
5. Airism: their exclusive technology also brings cool and dry undergarments for the hot summer weather so you con’t get sweatmarks – the fabric in this line dries up instantly and stays fresh. Special fabric also neutralizes the source of odors and stays active even after repeat washes.
6. We can’t get enough of their ridiculously low priced but high quality Cashmere sweaters or the line of IDLF Ultra Light Down Compact Jackets. Stocking up is an understatement. The latest technology in the jacket recently launched a water repellent version.
7. The Uniqlo App: is all about lifestyle and offers original music and recipes to upload. Current chef series pairs the simplicity of high quality food and style.
8. Line ups as seen in New York are insanely long…but they’ve mastered the art of efficiency and customer service. Take note, of asian custom of handing credit cards and such with two hands. Thank you.
9. Uniqlo has more than 1,500 stores in 16 markets including Japan, Australia, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Russia, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, U.K. and the U.S. The brand is under the Fast Retailing Co., Ltd retail holding company that also manufactures, sells and designs clothing for the brands Comptoir des Cotonneirs, Helmut Lang, J Brand Princesse tam.tam, Theory, GU.
10. We just love the bright spacious stores with the fresh colours that easily chase away any drab grey day.
Looking forward to your arrival Uniqlo! In the meantime, I’m still stuffing as much as I can in my suitcase each time I’m in New York.