This is an art exhibition not to be missed! Gladstone Hotel’s 11th annual Come Up To My Room (CUTMR) – running January 23rd through 26th – enters its second decade as Toronto’s biggest alternative design event.
Curated this year by Jaclyn Blumas, Robert Cram, Elise Hodson and Britt Welter-Nolan, CUTMR is the Gladstone’s marquee, self-produced design event that bends disciplinary boundaries and explores new ground each year. A surprise until the day before it opens, the show inspires over 4,000 attendees with mind-bending and awe-inspiring works of creativity.
This year’s exhibition includes…
- Taking inspiration from the Gladstone itself, Nathan Whitford and Sarah Keenlyside illuminate the façade to reveal the architectural bones beneath
- Rollout confronts the constraints of a historic building where their wallpaper cannot go on the walls
- Throughout the building, Sisley Leung’s mouse-sized hotel amenities and Ana Jofre’s life-sized marionettes question who else makes use of the hotel
- A secretive collaboration between resident artist Bruno Billio and studio resident, the Department of Unusual Certainties, is bound to surprise with new sounds
- The Torontonians, the Teenagers in Residence, and Mammalian Diving Reflex present a manic, hyper teen aesthetic in ‘GET OUT OF MY ROOM’
- Experiences of fantasy and reality, inside and out, private and public are mediated by the Escapespace installation that emerges onto Queen Street, Currentform’s responsive hotel entrance, Natasha Basacchi + Aliya Tejani’s interactive bathroom, and A Zero’s Fall of the Walled Garden
- Connect to other times and places with Victoria Taylor and Linda Dervishaj’s Emergent Structures, SPAM Collective’s Touched, and Andrew Foerster’s city of ramshackle sheds and raw mean villains
- Installations by Jordan Evans, Ryla Jakelski + Evan Jerry with Lois Weinthal (RSID), KRDW, Kathleen Wicks, Shannon Scanlan, Claire Scherzinger, and Christine Kim and Vanathy Ganesharajah (pictured below) explore materiality and sense of place
- ‘Making’ is celebrated in furniture and lighting throughout the hotel by Wayne Muma, Jennifer Rong, Sheridan College, Bettie Cott and Megan Blake, Hilary Hayes and Tim Richards
- The ‘making’ continues with Collage Parties hosted by the Collage Collective
The Come Up To My Room schedule also includes a special events including….
- Eyes on Design w/ Stephen Eyes: Thursday, January 23rd, 8pm in the Ballroom, Admission is $10
- Collage Party in the Melody Bar: Saturday, January 25th, 10am to 4pm
- Opening Reception: Saturday, January 25th, 7pm to 11pm
- Love Design Party: Saturday, January 25th, 10pm to 2:30am, Free Admission
- Collage Party in the Melody Bar: Sunday, January 26th, 3pm to 6pm
The Gladstone Hotel is located at 1214 Queen Street West, Toronto. For full details on this upcoming exhibition please visit www.comeuptomyroom.com