From May to October, New Zealand’s Kiwifruit are at their prime. You can also find them harvested in Italy and available from November to May. When a kiwifruit is ripe, you can tell by simply by touch. Much like an avocado it will have a very slight softness when apply a bit of pressure. Most of the time the fruit is ready to eat as soon as you purchase them and the softer they are the sweeter they are.
We had recently discovered a SunGold variation in our stores from the Zespri Kiwifruit producers. Much like the green ones, they are delicious.
As we’ve been learning more about kiwis here are eight good reasons to add more of them into your life, other than looking pretty in a fruit salad.
- A serving of SunGold kiwifruit (2) contains three times more vitamin C than oranges (and one kiwi provides all your daily vitamin C needs)
- Kiwifruit are a natural source of potassium and a serving of SunGod kiwi contains as much potassium as a medium banana.
- A serving of kiwifruit (2) contain about the same amount of fibre as a bowl of bran flakes.
- Actinides, a natural digestive enzyme found only in kiwifruit, improves digestive comfort by breaking down proteins.
- Kiwifruit is one of the very few natural sources of folic acid (great if you’re pregnant!)
- Studies have proven that eating kiwis improve mood and vitality.
- Low GI and low calories make kiwifruit ideal to eat everyday. That’s why we see this fruit often approved on weight-loss diets.
- Kiwis are also rich in antioxidants to help keep your skin glowing and your immune system strong.
By the way, if you’re allergic to green kiwis, the yellow ones may not have the same effect. Green kiwis have an enzyme that causes allergic reactions in some people. But always check with your doctor first!
Here’s a simple recipe to try!
BARBECUE PRAWNS AND KIWIFRUIT KEBABS
- 500 g (1 lb) king prawns
- 1½ tablespoons sesame oil
- Finely grated zest rind of lemon
- 1 tablespoon basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, peeled and cut in chunks
- Peel the prawns, leaving their tails on. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sesame oil, lemon zest, herbs, soy sauce and seasonings. Add the prawns. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Pre-heat the grill or barbecue. Thread prawns and Zespri® Kiwifruit onto skewers. Brush the Zespri® Kiwifruit with a little extra oil
- Place the kebabs on the grill or barbecue and cook for 1 – 2 minutes each side, until the prawns are just cooked
- Serve with your favourite summer sides like grilled vegetables or couscous.
For more recipes visit www.zesprikiwi.com